Oslo, Norway–Greece was voted the “Best Tourist Destination” of the year at the ‘Grand Travel Awards 2023’ held at the Wallmans Oslo in Norway’s capital city of Oslo on January 12.
The awards ceremony was conducted on a large scale after a two-year break due to the pandemic. This year’s award to Greece was followed by the Greek National Tourism Organization’s (GNTO) Scandinavian branch being granted the ‘Best Foreign Tourist Office’ in last year’s winner’s announcements.
“What makes our country attractive to Norwegians is the sea and the sun, the sandy beaches, the gastronomy, the nature, the culture, and the scattered monuments and archaeological sites that transform the country into an “open-air museum,” said Pavlos Mourmas, Head of GNTO’s Scandinavia and Baltic States branch after thanking the voters for their nomination.
He later welcomed all Norwegians to visit the country this year, adding that “they may come as guests but will return as friends.”
Mourmas, along with his correspondents, was later reported to have met with executive members of the Norwegian budget airline, Flyr Airlines, to discuss the extension of the airline’s route program to Greece.
The Grand Travel Awards, organized by Reis magazine, is one of the most important annual meetings of the local tourism industry (Scandinavian region) was initiated 25 years ago and recognizes global and regional performers in the travel and tourism segment.
Winners in other categories include:
- Tourist destination of the year in Norway: Lofoten
- International hotel chain of the year: Marriott Hotels
- Hotel chain of the year in the Nordics: Nordic Choice Hotels
- Foreign Tourist Office of the Year (open category): Spain
- Car rental company of the year: Hertz
- Cruise line of the year large ships over 1,000 passengers: Royal Caribbean Line
- Intercontinental airline of the year: Emirates
- European airline of the year: Norwegian
- This year’s Honorary Award: Torgeir Silseth and Morten Thorvaldsen
Visit the official page of the GTA 2023 by clicking here.